Monday, August 25, 2008

Keeping My Day Job

Last night Elon asked Alan and I if we could give him a buzz cut. He said he knew what "number" on the razor to use. He has seen his dad do it. It is easy. So we thought, this couldn't be too hard. Alan and I are good at many things. We had a temporary moment of insanity and took the razor in our hands. 

We will keep our day jobs.

We watched in horror as well took this beautiful boy and made him look like a child who had some strange illness that caused bald patches and thick patches of hair to remain. He looked into the mirror and burst into tears. He took a shower and I think I heard him cry in there too. Here he is, three days into the 4th grade, wanting to be accepted, and we gave him reason to be embarrassed and self conscious. The only redeeming part of this disaster was that he wears a large kippah and when he put it on, it covered a good part of his hair. I do not think I ever saw him more enthusiastic to wear the kippah

I figured a good extra year of therapy was in store for our boy.

This morning, I got to Eliana. "Please say nothing about your brothers hair." "But mommy..." "No butts!" OK.....off to breakfast we go. Eliana sat quietly, her hazel eyes avoiding her twin brothers head. When he left the room I asked her what she thought. "Mommy, it is real  bad."

My heart sunk.

He went to school. If it was Eliana, she would be right here next to me all day. Fact is, if it was me, I would have not gone to school. But we went. Kippah on head and the promise that he would go to the barber after school so they could fix our mistake. 

I called him after school to see how he was. "Mommy, it was fine. I showed Gideon and Maya. They thought it was cool. I'm gonna get it cut real short!" 

So is Alan. He doesn't want Elon to be alone in the little fuzz that will be left on his head when the day is done. Better him than me. I am too attached to my curls. But thank goodness I have a forgiving and resilient almost 10 year old who has a great sense of humor and knows who to show his bald head to and a great step dad who is along for the ride of his life.

3 comments:

kurlskatt said...

Elissa, my precious curly headed daughter was given a hair cut recently that was so short, that when she was wearing both a dress and her pink ballet outfit with tutu, she was called a boy. Bothered me much more than her. Ah to be three again.

I cannot wait to read more of your musings and insights.
Love you,
xxx
Elizabeth

Anonymous said...

Elissa, I have one piece of advice . . . write the book. Your writing is amazingly engaging and FUNNY (not that you aren't in person as well!). It reminds me of a writer by the name of Michael Moore.

And I'll have you know this is the first blog I've ever READ.

Thanks for expaning my horizon!
Ericka

Anonymous said...

Oh, and by the way, I left two typo's in my blog just to prove I don't know how to spell check either!!